Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Guilty by Association (Caution: Maybe a Little Too Nerdy for Some)

I was wondering what to talk about this week. It finally hit me today. (Warning: This may sound a little nerdy, but please stay with me.) Kevin, our managing editor, said something about playing Mario 64 and getting so into the music that he did his own renditions of the songs while playing.

However, isn't that what music is all about? Music hitting you in a certain way that you begin to get a certain association with other things. Whether it makes you feel a certain way or it makes you think of certain things, music is partially about this association.

My Confession:
I have this certain feeling towards some games as well. Final Fantasy VII, Legend of Zelda, and Wild Arms 2 all have music that I still hum every now and then. Every time I think of the music from these games I get certain feelings from them. I dare you to find another character that has as bad @$$ a theme song as Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII or a game that has more memorable music than Zelda (or any Mario game for that matter). I can still remember the music from wandering the fields of Filgaia in Wild Arms II.

However, I find this association the same as when you think of music from the soundtrack of a movie. Everyone can recognize the theme and music from Star Wars or the music from Jurassic Park. I mean who doesn't recognize the James Bond Theme? And you know what's coming when you hear the music from Jaws (people get out of the water! Don't you see the huge fin?! Don't you hear the freakin' loud music?!).

As far as music outside of soundtracks, people often associate songs with certain emotions and instances. I have heard several people talk about how certain songs or albums helped them to cope with rough times, or how when they hear a certain song it reminds them of this party they went to.

People have these certain associations. And for that reason, music is an important part of every one's life. And honestly, who wants a world where Mario doesn't have a theme song (insert Super Mario Brothers theme here)?

No comments: