Tuesday, October 30, 2007

3rd Times A Charm

I usually dread Mondays, but this past Monday was different.

I went to the Porcupine Tree concert at the Roxy in Atlanta. This was my third time to see them in concert.

When we got there, the line to get inside was extremely long compared to the last two times I saw them. However, we were able to squeeze up to the front of the stage.
The concert was opened by the American experimental/progressive rock band 3. They played a solid set with loads of extraordinary riffs. The bass player, Daniel Grimsland, was nothing short of outstanding. You could almost feel your heart step out of its rhythm and get in sync with his playing. Then later, the drummer, Chris Gartmann, and keyboardist/percussionist, Joe Stote, went at it with each other in what seemed a battle to see who would crack first on their rhythms. Going in to the concert, I was afraid that I would be bored to death while waiting for Porcupine Tree to take the stage. I was wrong. I was blown away.

Finally, the moment had arrived. One of my two favorite bands of all time took the stage. Opening with "Fear of a Blank Planet," PT set the mood for the rest of the show. The crowd proceeded to go crazy. At first, the band seemed a little reserved in their actions on stage, but Steven Wilson eventually confessed that the Atlanta show was one of the shows being recorded for some material for a live album. As if the crowd wasn't excited enough, we all went crazy over this announcement. PT continued to play without falter the rest of the night. They even pulled out some much older and rarer songs out for the crowd.

I guess I have a few reasons for wanting to go to see Porcupine Tree each time they come to Atlanta. First, they never put on the same show. The solos are played a little different and a little better each time. The atmosphere is always a little different. The fans and concert-goers are always courteous. And, you almost feel like you are part of an elite group that knows about one of the best kept secrets in rock music. If you haven't seen a Porcupine Tree concert, you don't know what you are missing and you won't be disappointed. I know I am never disappointed, and last night was no exception.